Saturday, April 29, 2006

Basic Mittens and Another Hat

I've just finished these mittens. The pattern is from Elizabeth Durand and it can be found at the afghans for Afghans website here. I've followed the directions for the larger size mitten using 2 different yarns; the pink has a gauge of 20 stitches to 4"/10cm and the blue is 22 stitches to 4"/10cm. You see the difference in size such a small difference in gauge can make.

No, it wasn't a mistake on my part, I did it deliberately. I wanted to use up some yarn in my stash and make a smaller pair of mittens with the slightly finer yarn. I hoped that by following the pattern for the larger size with the smaller yarn they would turn out to be just the size I needed them to be-and they did. Yay!

Ryan's Hat
Chart for Ryan's HatHere is the last of the children's hats I'm making for now. This one is for Ryan, the little cutie. As before, I followed the basic pattern for the Child's Patterned Hat and substituted a new chart. Here it is if you'd like to use it to make one of your own.

I've made these hats in wool for warmth in cold climates, and they will certainly be warm with that double layer of worsted weight yarn. A solid colored hat is faster to make, but won't you consider making patterned hats for your next charity project? The children who receive the fruits of your labor will appreciate them all the more for the cheerful colors they contain!

No comments: